NUTRITION AND DIETETICS
nutrition and dietetics courses are available in 3 formats in India. They are Diploma courses, Undergraduate (Degree) courses and Postgraduate (PG) courses (Certificate courses are also available, but they are not highly valued or detailed). Let us check out each course format and find out vital details about them-
1 DIPLOMA COURSES
- Diploma in Nutrition and Health Education
- Diploma in Dietetics
- Diploma in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Diploma in Food Science and Nutrition
- Diploma in Dietetics and Clinical Nutrition
- Diploma in Nutrition and Food Technology
Common tasks of nutritionist or dietician include-
- Scientific study of nutrition and food science
- Provide guidance on eating habits and nutrition to people
- Plant diets according to the needs of patient/client
- Conduct or take part in research activity (depending upon qualification)
Though nutritionists and dieticians share many common tasks, an RD (Registered Dietician) is more like an allied healthcare professional.
An RD is more involved in the healthcare setup. He/she can be seen working in hospitals and clinics, monitoring patients and preparing diet plans for them. RDs work in tandem with consulting Doctors. They observe the Doctor’s diagnosis and inputs, and prepare diet plans for patients based on those observations and inputs.
Other than healthcare centres, they can also be seen working at fitness centres, sports centres and their own clinics. A nutritionist is more involved in the research and food manufacturing sectors.